NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND GLOBAL FORUM
NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND FORUM
Welcome to Norwegian Elkhounds Global Forum. This is the place where you can share your news and views, post pictures, start discussions, ask questions and generally keep up to date with things going on in the Norwegian Elkhound world. The Forum is open to all who have a great love and affection for the Norwegian Elkhound breed. It has no affiliation or connections with the Norwegian Elkhound Club of Great Britain
Norwegian Elkhound Club show 2013 crirtique
Norwegian Elkhound Club show 2013 crirtiquein MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 pm
by Malenibo • | 141 Posts
Please find attached an MS Word document which contains my full Judge's critique for the above show.
Norwegian Elkhound Club of Great Britain
20th April 2013
The Connexion, Ryton-on-Dunsmore
A superb day with a very happy atmosphere. How lucky we were that the weather decided to be so beautiful allowing all the judging to take place outside the hall. Many exhibitors and visitors went home with a red glow from the Spring sunshine, including myself! My thanks to the Club for inviting me to judge and providing my excellent stewards who kept me in order during the day. Living as I do most of the time in the Netherlands it was refreshing to see how the breed is faring in the UK. It was sad to find so little young stock and to discover how low the numbers being bred are at present. However, I found that movement has improved but front and back assemblies still have a way to go. I was sorry to find some stilted movement not producing the correct drive on the rear and shoulders too upright affecting the front movement. Dentition was good on the whole but some dogs and bitches would benefit from their teeth being cleaned! Coats were in various stages of shedding but most were well presented and clean. I was pleased to find a good number of coats with the correct coarse texture and close lying. These attributes are a must to make them weatherproof whilst carrying out their work in the rugged Scandinavian forests.
Minor Puppy Dog (0,0)
Puppy Dog (0,0)
Junior Dog (3,0)
1. Weston’s POWDERMILL PRINCE OF PEACE. Overall well proportioned dog of medium colour. Good head, dark mask, eyes well set and of good colour forming an excellent expression. Tightly curled tail that could be a little higher set. This dog covered the ground well on the move and should be one to watch for the future.
2. Harvey’s GRASILVA CULLINAN. Another dog with good proportions. Excellent head and the most beautiful black velvet ears well set, dark mask, dark eyes. Strong level topline leading to tightly curled tail. Lost out to 1st on movement today.
3. Hobson’s KESTOS OLAV
Yearling Dog (3,0)
1. Weston’s Powdermill Prince of Peace
2. Harvey’s Grasilva Cullinan
3. Hobson’s Kestos Olav
Novice Dog (1,0)
1. Harvey’s Grasilva Cullinan Placed 2nd in the previous 2 classes. Unfortunately this boy was distracted today appearing to be looking for someone other than his handler.
Post Graduate Dog (1,0)
1. Jolley’s BARBELKA REKRUT. A little on the tall side. Lovely dark ears and eyes, good coat colour and texture. Would like a stronger front assembly and more level topline. Well set and tightly curled tail carried over the centre line of the back. Movement was acceptable.
Limit Dog (7,0)
1. Moughton’s BOWERHINTON BELLINO AT DEKRIS. My Best Dog, winner of the CC and BIS today. I think we could say that today he was the groom rather than the pageboy! A very striking dog, compact, good in all 4 corners. Strong head with masculine expression, dark mask and ears that were well set. Firm, level topline with tightly curled and well set tail carried over the centre line of the back. Movement was a pleasure to watch covering the ground with the minimum of effort and driving from the rear. Well deserved this win. Not often that I make someone cry but at least for his handler these were tears of joy! CC & BIS
2. Gray’s STROM FOOTLOOSE FOR GRASILVA (imp USA). This dog really commands attention whilst on the move covering the ground well. Masculine head of good proportions with dark mask, eyes and ears. Coarse coat of good clear colour. Tightly curled tail that could be set a little higher.
3. Cowper & Gundersen’s GOKSTADHAUGEN’S LYNG (imp NOR)
4. Walters’ HUISTENBOSCH AXSEL AT BRECKSLAKE
5. Granne’s CROSSRIDGE CLASS ACT
Open Dog (7,0)
1. Nichols’ CH BARLESTONE JAN-IVAR JW. Lovely square outline and good in each quarter. Excellent head and expression, good reach of neck, good spring of ribcage. Excellent topline and tightly curled well set tail carried over the centre line of the back. Coarse coat of good colour. Very fluid movement.
2. Long’s BOWERHINTON BELTAIN AT VINELKA. Another dog with a good square outline. Coarse coat of excellent colour. Head of good proportion with darks eyes and ears. Firm, level topline and well set and carried tail. Another one with good movement.
3. Cree’s RAVENSTONE TOAST MASTER
4. Middleton’s CH ITHIM AGUS SUIM ShCM
5. Simms’ CH BOWERHINTON BRODER AT ELVERDAL
Michelle Lucas Special Beginners Dog (1,0)
1. Long’s BOWERHINTON BELTAIN AT VINELKA
Special Newcomers Dog (1,0)
1. Harvey’s GRASILVA CULLINAN
Special Veteran Dog (7-10 years) (4,0)
1. Middleton’s CH/IR CH KESTOS I SPY AT GRAYTHOR JW ShCM. Beautifully square outline, very good topline with tightly curled tail over the centre line of the back. Short Loin. Excellent angulation. Masculine head and expressive dark eyes. Good dark ears, well set. Other dogs in this class were unlucky to meet this worthy champion! Res CC, Best Veteran Dog, Best Veteran in Show & Res Best in Show
2. Long’s BOWERHINTON BELTAIN AT VINELKA
3. Murphy’s RAVENSTONE KOGI FRODI
4. Thomas’ CH MALENIBO KYNEDYR ShCM
Special Veteran Dog (10+ years) (2,0)
1. Tress’ CH BOWERHINTON BRIGHT KNIGHT AT CAKIRJO. In excellent condition for 10 years of age. Lovely square outline. Holds a level topline both standing and on the move. Good tailset and tightly curled tail. Excellent on the move.
2. Nichols’ CH BARLESTONE VOSSE. Lovely for 13 and today’s OLDEST VETERAN. Holds a good topline standing and moving. Excellent spring of ribcage. Strong bone. Moved well for his years.
Minor Puppy Bitch (0,0)
Puppy Bitch (1,0)
1. Barganska’s BARBELKA TOPAZ. Nicely built puppy with an excellent coat texture and even colouring. Very feminine head and expression. She has a good topline and a well set and carried tail. Glided around the ring smoothly covering the ground well fully deserving her first place. BPB & BPIS
Junior Bitch (5,0)
1. Barganska’s BARBELKA TOPAZ.
2. Weston’s POWDERMILL LEST WE FORGET. Another nice young lady of good clear colour. Excellent proportions. Feminine head, well set and carried ears. Expressive eyes. Good topline, tail good for carriage and set. Excellent smooth movement just not quite as good as 1st.
3. Brown’s GRASILVA PREMIERE ROSE.
4. Lees’ AFTONLEE ANNAN WINDS.
5. 5. Crossley’s CROSSRIDGE CHERRY PIE.
Yearling Bitch (3,0)
1. Weston’s POWDERMILL LEST WE FORGET.
2. Brown’s GRASILVA PREMIERE ROSE. This young lady was of darker overall colouring. Lovely dark mask, black velvet ears of good shape and set. Dark expressive eyes. Overall proportions very good. Well set and carried tail. Movement okay.
3. Lees’ AFTONLEE ANNAN WINDS.
Novice Bitch (2,0)
1. Brown’s GRASILVA PREMIERE ROSE.
2. Lees’ AFTONLEE ANNAN WINDS. Good head and expression. Dark mask, eyes and ears. Coat of good colour and texture. Excellent angulation, firm and level topline both standing and moving. A little on the leggy side. Covers the ground with very little effort.
Post Graduate Bitch (6,2)
1. Tress’ DEKRIS DIVA. Overall impression is a pretty, cobby bitch that stands four-square. Feminine head, good reach of neck, good topline and tail. Beautiful close lying weatherproof coat. Covers the ground with ease driving well from behind. CC & BOS
2. Wilson’s BARBELKA SZEPT AT SUCHOW. Another feminine bitch that presents the correct outline. Firm level back, tail well set and carried in good curl. She covers the ground smoothly on the move just not quite as well as the 1st.
3. Barganska’s BARBELKA TOPAZ
4. Lees’ AFTONLEE ANNAN WINDS
Limit Bitch (9,3)
1. Barganska’s BARBELKA SZAFIR. Offers a square outline and is good in each corner. Coat of good colour, texture and close lying. Feminine head and very good reach of neck. Firm topline held whilst on the move which she did smoothly and with ease.
2. McHugh & Horner’s BARBELKA PLATYNA OF KINDERHORN. Wearing just her bikini today so had nothing to hide. Looking past her missing coat, she stands well in each quarter with good lay of shoulders. Pretty head with feminine expression. Level topline and tightly curled tail. Moved well.
3. Andrews’ HUISTENBOSCH LEXI.
4. Cree’s BRANIKA ASDIS.
5. Brewin’s GRAYTHOR NORWEGIAN STAR AT LIONDYKE
Open Bitch (6,1)
1. Middleton’s CH BOWERHINTON BE MADAM’S SPY AT GRAYTHOR ShCM. Very cobby lady. Excellent colour and close coat. Dark mask. Good reach of neck, good topline and a well set and carried tail. Movement was effortless and excellent. RCC
2. Hicks’ FR CH MALENIBO JENIBELLE. Another beautiful bitch. Coarse close lying coat of good colour and markings. Feminine head, good reach of neck, excellent topline, well set and curled tail. Movement excellent. Shame she met number 1 today!
3. Cowper’s ROTHENBORG LEAHA.
4. Barganska’s CH BARBELKA ISKRA JW.
5. Andrews’ HUISTENBOSCH LEXI.
Michelle Lucas Special Beginners Bitch (3,2)
1. Andrew’s HUISTENBOSCH LEXI. Came forward from previous placings in earlier classes. A lovely bitch of good colour with a close weather resistant coat. Tail is tightly curled over the centre line of the back. She moved well but could benefit from losing a little excess weight.
Special Newcomers Bitch (0,0)
Special Veteran Bitch (7-10 years) (5,2)
1. Gray’s BOWERHINTON BETTER BEHAVE. Excellent bitch in tip top condition. Commanded attention as she owned the ring whilst moving. She is well proportioned, has a lovely feminine head and expression, dark mask, dark ears, good reach of neck into a good topline, tail set and carriage.
2. Barganska’s CH BARBELKA ISKRA JW. Cobby bitch presenting the correct outline. Good coat and colour, excellent reach of neck. In great overall condition for her 9½ years.
3. Lake’s RAVENSTONE MIA TUA OF MAUBREA
Special Veteran Bitch (10+ years) (2,0)
1. Winsor’s CH YGGDRASIL RAINCLOUD. Almost 11 years old. Close coupled bitch, feminine head and sweet expression leading into a good reach of neck. Good topline, tail set and carriage. Moved very well for her age.
2. Allchin’s CAROLON FANCY NANCY. A lovely bitch but a little heavier. Feminine head. Coat of good colour. Tail could be held better but overall she was very good for her age.
What a super class! Each of the pairs was very well matched and all were beautifully presented and handled. Tress’ brace won the class on movement because they were absolutely in unison with each other and, as this was the deciding factor, movement determined the rest of the placings.
1. Tress’ brace
2. Gray’s brace
3. Middleton’s brace
4. Barganska’s brace
5. Wilson’s brace
Stud Dog (2,0)
1. Middleton’s CH/IR CH KESTOS I SPY AT GRAYTHOR JW SHCM
2. Cree’s RAVENSTONE TOAST MASTER
Brood Bitch (1,0)
1. Barganska’s CH BARBELKA ISKRA JW
Wendy Sharman (Naraena)