NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND FORUM

Welcome to Norwegian Elkhounds Global Forum. This is the place where you can share your news and views, post pictures, start discussions, ask questions and generally keep up to date with things going on in the Norwegian Elkhound world. The Forum is open to all who have a great love and affection for the Norwegian Elkhound breed. It has no affiliation or connections with the Norwegian Elkhound Club of Great Britain

Kc breed gnome project

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 pm
by Bluesmate | 62 Posts

Over recent weeks the dog papers have been publicising the Kc initiative of a data base covering the gnome of each breed, this is in association with the AHT. The charge for this appears to be £1,000 per breed and only breed clubs can participate and nominate the dog to be sequenced. Why the KC expect the cost to be born by the breed clubs defeats me when I am sure the Kc could afford to pay, if even through the KC charitable trust. I have little doubt that the breed clubs having participated and paid to be part of the survey the Kc will subsequently claim ownership of the results!

They did something like this many years ago with what was then the breed club owned 'standard', they invited changes to what was then in place, imposed some changes of their own and then claimed copyright of the standard -- marvellous. The club now has to ask permission to publish the Norwegian Elkhound 'standard' in the annual Journal for instance.

Anyway why do I write.....? ...... A year or so ago the club was prepared to commit somewhere near twice the cost of this Gnome project to investigate the possibility of hereditary problems in a members dog, the costs eventually were happily well,well below £1,000 ( a matter of public record in the accounts for that year). With this in mind can we expect the Necgb to use it's bank balance to participate in the scheme rather than going for member donations toward the cost as is being suggested by the Kc?

Those clubs participating are being published so there should be some kudos for the Necgb committee when it is published as being amongst the early adopters of the sceme.

Scroll up

RE: Kc breed gnome project

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:42 pm
by Brainless64 | 130 Posts

I didn't get to the AGM this year (I had a dog with kennel cough adn ws made to feel that my presense might be a risk) so have not seen the balnce sheet for the state of the ring fenced funds in the DNA/Health Fund, to which I am still contributing when I breed litters.

Barbara and the Grey Curly tails.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

guest counter
Today was 1 guest online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 359 topics and 969 posts.