NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND FORUM

Welcome to Norwegian Elkhounds Global Forum. This is the place where you can share your news and views, post pictures, start discussions, ask questions and generally keep up to date with things going on in the Norwegian Elkhound world. The Forum is open to all who have a great love and affection for the Norwegian Elkhound breed. It has no affiliation or connections with the Norwegian Elkhound Club of Great Britain

Maharaja of Patiala

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 pm
by Bluesmate | 62 Posts

I read Dianes Elkhound notes in Dog World this week with interest. I had previously found a wealth of information about The Maharaja of Patiala on the internet some years ago when I went looking for why he had donated a cup to the Elkhound Club.

I had hoped that maybe this current research had uncovered the answer for me. I certainly found that he had contact with quite a few breeds here and donated trophies to several breeds and that when he stayed in London he took over whole floors at the major London hotels for himself, his many wives and his entourage, as to which hotels my memory lets me down on.

Perhaps we had some well connected members in society at that time who were introduced to him, who knows? I would be interested as to why we were given this cup by him.

I think that at that time the Indian Princes were very much into hunting and of course our Elkhounds are hunters. I certainly remember in the not very distant past that as 'Karrylite' at Crufts we sold several hunting scenes, Ridgebacks hunting Lion for example to some Pakistani heirachy, names which I recognised as political heavy weights at the time but since deposed! Although I see that the son we were introduced to is making a political comeback, if indeed it is the same son.

Over to you lot.........

Scroll up

RE: Maharaja of Patiala

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 pm
by Vanhalla | 154 Posts

He owned elkhounds that were bred in the UK. I have the details of at least one about me - I'll send them over the weekend - too jaded this evening and need to do a bit more digging.

Last edited Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:13 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 pm
by norderhove | 130 Posts

You have to thank Pat Houghton for asking me what I could find out. Vanessa it woudl be great to find out what his connection was. Apparently the trophy was valued some years ago; don't know whether Treena still has the valuation or whether it was passed on with the trophies but it was not by weight in ounces of silver!!!!!!! It's a massive solid silver thing. Money was definitely no object. I know back then there were some very well connected Elkhound breeders with several titled people. I believe Lord Halifax had something to do with them at one point because my mum's uncle was gamekeeper on his Garrowby Estate and mentioned them and wasn't there a Garrowby Haakon? I loved the bit about the Maharaja's annual naked march through his city where all the people had to admire his "upstanding demeanour". I'll leave that to your imagination. Diana

norderhove

Last edited Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:22 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:05 am
by kamgaard | 49 Posts

As I told Diana previously, I remember on one of my trips to Ravenstone, the trophy was on display in Margaret and Ted's sitting room. I remember remarking to Margaret how ornate, huge, and HEAVY! it was and asked about the "connection" to Elkhounds, but cannot remember that even she had the answer. I will be interested in hearing what Ness has to add.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:02 pm
by Vanhalla | 154 Posts

Got it! Popping out for soup, but more later.... [Evil laugh!]

Last edited Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm
by Vanhalla | 154 Posts

OK, I have dug and found out some more, having recalled some photos, which I've uploaded to the Gallery - the research may not be complete, as I don't have access to my early journals here at my house, nor do I have access to any online archive as Michael does (hint, hint, M.!). I do have photocopies of the registrations, but not all of the transfers (one day I'll get round to doing this).

Here is some information gleaned from cuttings. Be patient - there is a story and it will all come together as I proceed:

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Firstly, here is a family snapshot captioned as follows:
[Published 1926?]
[In pencil is inscribed 'Musti'].
"LADY DOROTHY WOOD AND PETER AND RICHARD: THE RIGHT HON. E.F. LINDLEY WOOD P.C., M.P.
This snapshot of India's Viceroy-Designate was taken with his wife and two of his sons at Garrowby, Bishop Wilton, Yorks. Lady Dorothy Wood is a daughter of the fourth Earl of Onslow, and she and Mr. Wood have three sons and one daughter. Peter was born in 1916 and Richard in 1920. Lady Dorothy Wood is an expert in Norwegian Elkhounds, the dog in the foreground being a fine example of the breed."

It may interest you to know that Musti was born on 15.10.15 (Hafagr x Louvette). For more information about the family, visit wikipedia and here

Next, a cutting entitled "Dogs for sport and pleasure" subtitled "Elkhound progress", written by A. Croxton Smith, most likely again in 1926. "Lady Irwin, more widely known as Lady Dorothy Wood, will be much missed, but, as she has taken a favourite in the Viceregal entourage, it may be that a fashion will be created there which will help to give a stimulus to the breed at home. The influence of India upon certain breeds cannot well be overlooked. Lady Irwin, who was founder of the British Elkhound Society in conjunction with Lieut.-Colonel G.J. Scovell, is succeeded as President by Colonel P.L. Reid, with Mrs. G. Powell as vice-president....."

A photo again now of the new Viceroy, his wife and Musti being seen off at the train station by the Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin, and the Archbishop of Canterbury. Like you do.

From Elkhound Essays, as the breed notes in Our Dogs were styled in 1926 "We hear that her Excellency, Lady Irwin's Elkhound, Musti, has created quite a sensation in doggy circles in India; although the Simla climate is so different from that of the breed's native country, Musti has never been in more magnificent coat or better form than he is just now; he is, we imagine, the first of his race to enter India, so it will be interesting to see what effect such a typical dog, so influentially owned, has on the canine history of that country."

Now a photo of Musti at "A Simla Gathering", published most likely in 1927. The Chairman of the South African Commission to India looks very pleased to have Musti sat at his feet.....

Now to the meat of the piece. Registrations for 1926 show the transfer of the bitch Sona from Mrs. L.E. Waterhouse to H.H. The Maharaja of Patiala. Sona was born 7.4.1925 (Jansen x Beltsa). Jansen was a half-brother to Musti, sired by the same dog, Hafagr. Jansen's breeder was Lady D. Wood. A piece from Elkhound Essays in 1927 tells us "One of the Elkhounds which went out lately to H.H. The Maharajah [sic.] of Patiala, was Mrs. Waterhouse's very promising young Sona, who took first in puppies, and 2nd and 3rd in other classes at Cruft's, as well as 1st, 2nd and 3rd at Worcester Championship Show. As Sona's breeder considers the exported one better than Ch. Beltsa, the Indian potentate's Elkhound kennel will not lack in merit. Beltsa is still very fit, and likely to give many more meritorious additions to the Banbury kennel."

Finally, wth the date handwritten as Feb 4th [1927] another piece from Elkhound Essays "Colonel Scovell has just heard that the brace of Elkhounds which he exported to India, to join his HIghness of Patiala's famous kennel, have arrived safely at their destination. The first outing of that brace will not be to a show, but to Delhi, as his Highness intends taking them there shortly to pay a visit to Her Excellency, Lady Irwin, who will, we know, be delighted to see two of her favourites. Although she had to leave all her elkhounds, with one exception, in this country, Lady Irwin's kennel is beng carried on in her absence, and one of her bitches which is being bred from is the imported Binna-av-Glitre, litter sister to Bob-av-Glitre, and dam of that fine youngster Delhi of the Clyde." Also in the 1926 transfers, we see that one of the brace of elkhounds was Bjonn av Glitre, a proven sire in the UK, and a full-sibling to the aforementioned Binna and also to Bob av Glitre, born on 21.8.22 (Dyre av Glitre x Jerva II av Glitre).

I asked Stuart to have a quick flick through the next few journals, and in 1928 we see the export of the bitch Skoda, sold to the Maharaja by Mrs W.S MacLellan. Skoda had a litter at the beginning of the year by Delhi of the Clyde - HRH was buying proven stock. Stuart couldn't find a record of a transfer to Mrs MacLellan, but in 1926 we see the registration of Skoda owned and bred by Mrs D. Eyton Lloyd (Graftonia Kogi x Toorit). Delhi was owned by Mrs MacLellan and used at stud by Mrs Eyton Lloyd, so I would be relatively comfortable with believing the Skoda owned by each of them to be one and the same. Incidentally, Delhi was bred by Lady Irwin - his sire was Musti, who sired him before his departure for India, and his dam, as mentioned above, was Binna av Glitre. Skoda's dam, Toorit, was a daughter of Bob av Glitre, so the mating between the two represented a nice piece of line breeding.

I do particularly admire the proud photo of the Maharaja with the Segier and Segierinen

Last edited Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:00 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 pm
by Bluesmate | 62 Posts

Wow Nessie and that is fantastic....what next if you ever get the time?

You have only just got the mag and you have read Blues Blatherings I see.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:44 pm
by Vanhalla | 154 Posts

I have devoured the entire magazine, Michael - and noticed what you have done, which you told me you were thinking of doing. If only other people would do the same with the bits and pieces that they have (within the limits of copyright), and what a wealth of historical information we would be able to share. Did you not see anything in the Journals about how the cup came to be given to the Club?

Last edited Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 am

Vanessa you are an absolute Gem. Please may I put that in the dog paper in its entirety (without photos of course) and of course credited totally to you. I had a strange feeling that the Garrowby Elkhounds would be connected in some way. Re your final comment about the photo of the Maharaja and his segier and segierinnen- I don't see a photo. Absolutely fantastic. I'll phone Pat and read it to her as she's not on internet.

norderhove

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 am
by Vanhalla | 154 Posts

Yes, of course. Edit it if you like so that it makes sense in that context. The final comment is a link to an online photo - I agree that it's not very clear that it's a hyperlink, as the colour of the text is so similar.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 am
by Bluesmate | 62 Posts

Ness, I had hoped to collect my computer when over for Manchester but due to the ill health of my mates daughter I have postponed 'till the Contest/AGM. He has started me off but I guess I wil still have a lot to do. Any bits and pieces donated will be happily accepted and uploaded. BUT as I said it is my personal archive and the Club mainly has the copy write of the original content relating to club pubs.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Many thanks Ness; will do.

norderhove

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:09 pm
by kamgaard | 49 Posts

Many thanks, Ness for your information... amazing and truly informative. You ARE a student of the breed and BRAVO to you!

Maggie

Last edited Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:09 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Fri May 24, 2013 3:28 am
by kamgaard | 49 Posts

Came across some added information on the Maharaja in one of our American online dog magazines, Dog News. Go to http://issuu.com/dognews/docs/051713 and then go to pages 30-31 for an interesting read and additional photos.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Fri May 24, 2013 8:50 am
by k9krackers | 124 Posts

Wow! I know we are very lucky to have a librarian in our midst. We can always rely upon Ness to research for us and you have come up trumps yet again. Have just read the article that Maggie uncovered which adds yet another slant. Well done everyone.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

guest counter
Today was 1 guest online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 359 topics and 969 posts.