NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND FORUM

Welcome to Norwegian Elkhounds Global Forum. This is the place where you can share your news and views, post pictures, start discussions, ask questions and generally keep up to date with things going on in the Norwegian Elkhound world. The Forum is open to all who have a great love and affection for the Norwegian Elkhound breed. It has no affiliation or connections with the Norwegian Elkhound Club of Great Britain

Singing puppies

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am
by Brainless64 | 130 Posts

My most recent litter of puppies are now 9 1/2 weeks old and two are still here until they go to their new homes.

What I have had for the first time is regular singers, or more whoo-whoo-ers. The two mites every morning or every time they greet me at other times give a little bark and raise their heads skyward and serenade me, singing whoo whoo whoo!

This is the first time I have had this, to this extent, in a litter, several of the litter-mates who have already gone to their homes were doing the same.

I have had the very young pups before they can bark let off little quiet howls when a particular sound has stimulated them, and older ones out in the garden react to sirens going past.

These particular pups are from lines that I am very familiar with.

Barbara and the Grey Curly tails.

Last edited Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am | Scroll up

RE: Singing puppies

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:01 pm
by k9krackers | 124 Posts

Fascinating Barbara! I hope their song is easy on your ears. I've had the odd pup that has been known to be a whoo-er and my Swiss owner asked me if I could teach his boy to yodel!!! I said, "sorry, I'll have to save that one for you as I cannot yodel to save my life"

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes, it is quite melodious and easy on the ear, unlike the usual demanding puppy yell that sounds like a flock of demented seagulls, they do that one pretty well first thing, when wanting out to toilet too.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 pm
by Malenibo | 141 Posts

You will have to have a recorder/mobile phone handy for next time so we can all share.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm

I have a video capture on my camera but have never managed to share a file as they come out to large, so have never used it beyond the first time of trying it out.

Last edited Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:55 pm
by Suchow • 5 Posts

My girl Rosie (Barbelka Szept at Suchow) does a lovely singing wooo-wooo-wooo when she is very happy about something or slightly fustrated, amusing everyone that meets her! My boy has never done this.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 pm

That is interesting as the pups have the same Mum, but she has never done it, or any of her female anscestors here, so must be something from the Martell side or elsewhere?

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:53 pm
by Bumbleknightdiva • 2 Posts

Can't say I have had singing puppies but I do have three who always serenade any passing Ambulance, Fire Engine or police car. We have to just stop and wait for the vehicles to pass and the dogs to stop their wail. The first one to do it was Freya and she taught the others in turn, something I don't think will end as inevitably they will pass it on I think.

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 pm
by Esther Eaves-Paull • 1 Post

I haven't been on here for a while, so have only just read this! Jeger is still coming out with some singing and yodel type noises at 4 months, I hope it stays as it is quite cute!! It sounds often as if he is trying to say something. Which I am sure he is in his own language!

Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 am

Well Sue, they have the same Mum, Inka (though she has never done it)

Last edited Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 am | Scroll up

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 am

Cute Esther.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

guest counter
Today was 1 guest online.