NORWEGIAN ELKHOUND FORUM

Welcome to Norwegian Elkhounds Global Forum. This is the place where you can share your news and views, post pictures, start discussions, ask questions and generally keep up to date with things going on in the Norwegian Elkhound world. The Forum is open to all who have a great love and affection for the Norwegian Elkhound breed. It has no affiliation or connections with the Norwegian Elkhound Club of Great Britain

Now that was a journey with a difference

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:18 pm
by Bluesmate | 62 Posts

Having got the 'export' shopping from Morrisons, those items that you can't get in Holland -- Branston, piccalilley, bacon, joints etc, etc I stopped to get a 'subway' roll in the garage. Whilst there it got darker and darker, a great wind got up and then a tremendous hail storm, thunder and lightning and I got soaked just getting back to the car. Listening to the football on the radio it seemed Birmingham and other places had the same storm and that it was moving westward, and where was I going--westward!

So I went back put the meat in the freezer for a couple of hours to chill it down for the journey and collect 'little dog', Gracie. Thankfully the storm passed quite quickly so when I set off at 5 o'clock the worst I had to contend with was that it was getting dark, I hate driving in the half light. On the way I listened to the shipping forecast - big mistake - but then you can't change the weather. In amongst the 'Viking, Humber. Thames etc. I got the fact that the crossing was 'severe gale force 9' which didn't go down well. The actual crossing was no where near what I was lead to expect but then I was asleep by 11 and didn't come round 'till 7 shortly before arriving at the Hoek of Holland.

Gave 'little dog' a walk in the usual dog walking spot reached quickly after clearing passport control and settled down on a lovely sunny Sunday morning drive with little or no traffic any where to be seen. Got to within 30 miles of Klazienaveen without incident, with the sat nav saying there was a 25 minute holdup on the motorway, I guessed they must be resurfacing as one moment the delay was 5 minutes the next 25 so decided that there was a one way system in operation and might as well stay with it.

Oh dear was I wrong, as I got closer the temperature went steadily down from +6c to -5c and it was snowing, the outside lane was obliterated, that is until a couple of crazy Swedish truck drivers sailed past showing off to those of us taking it easy in the near side lane. It got worse but then, hey , nothing as bad as Sweden so not really worried as I was wearing my 'winter' tyres as usual, they don't half make a difference, just follow the one in front, which at the head of the queue was a small car towing a big horse box, easy peasy. Mind you I did see a big truck in the ditch on the other side with quite a few recovery vehicles standing by, hope the driver was Ok, the cab seemed to be intact.

Snow is revealing stuff, when I got back I could see that the cats had been feed and watered from the foot tracks from the house to the cats and not much else had moved apart from the Valhund tracks up to the field. Although the Elkhounds were in their field and shouting at me when I got out of the car.

At least here the snow comes in inches and not feet as in Sweden, must be thankful for small mercies, put the kettle on quick.

Scroll up

RE: Now that was a journey with a difference

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:58 am
by norderhove | 130 Posts

I've done Hull to Rotterdam in a Force 10 when the front lounge window was smashed in by the waves and every door was sand bagged so I know what your crossing was like. I was the only passenger NOT with their head in a paper bag and after joining th crew's party I slept through it too. I don't envy you the rest in snow though. I'm terrified of driving on snow.

norderhove

Scroll up

RE: Now that was a journey with a difference

in MAIN POST AREA * ELKHOUND BLOGS & BRAGS Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 am
by kamgaard | 49 Posts

Driving on snow?... not a problem! Ice is quite another thing... uff da!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

guest counter
Today were 4 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 359 topics and 969 posts.